Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Social Justice Theme Read

February is fast approaching. In that month, I plan to read some books for a Social Justice theme read. This event is hosted by Rachel at Resistance is Futile. (Isn't that a great name for a blog?)


Here is Rachel's description:

"In honor of the World Day of Social Justice (February 20th), I am hosting the first Annual Social Justice Theme Read during the month of February. I hope that this theme read will educate us on social injustice in the world and allow us to appreciate organizations that have been working for social justice locally and world-wide."

There will be two read-alongs:
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee (for the classics/literature crowd)
Noughts & Crosses, by Malorie Blackman (for the YA/Dystopia crowd)
Check out this post for more information. Also this more recent post that has dates for the read-alongs.

I will be reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I am also planning to read Devil in a Blue Dress, the first in a mystery series by Walter Mosley that combines detective fiction with themes of racial disparity and social injustices experienced by racial minorities. I will be on the lookout for other books that will fit the theme.


5 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

THE CONSTANT GARDENER by John le Carré may fit this theme. A British diplomat who is solving his wife's murder in Africa uncovers a sinister conspiracy by a western pharma giant involving drug trials on innocent people. The wife used to work for Amnesty. A poignant tale and a well-made movie too.

Unknown said...

Thanks for joining Tracy! This should be a lot of fun...I'm excited to see what everyone reads. :)

Anonymous said...

Tracy - What a great idea for a themed read! There are some truly fine reads that address this theme. I'll be looking forward to your posts about it.

And I do like that blog title: Resistance is Futile. Clever, witty and draws the reader.

TracyK said...

Prashant, I will have to look into that. I think I have a copy of that book, and I have not read it... although I saw the movie and liked it. Thanks for the suggestion.

neer said...

Thanks for letting us know Tracy. I too have signed up for it.