Saturday, June 29, 2013

Mount TBR Reading Challenge: 2nd Quarter Summary

For the second year, I am participating in the Mount TBR Reading Challenge. I have more unread books than I will ever read, and this challenge motivates me to work away at the older books in my stacks, boxes, and bookshelves. The host, Bev at My Reader's Block, is calling for the second quarterly check-in post. Check out other summary posts here.

This quarter I have read 13 books that count toward the Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2013. Combined with the 15 I read in the first quarter, I have read a total of 28 books toward my goal of 36 books. So, I am on target.



The books I have read in April, May, June are: 
  1. The Stately Home Murder by Catherine Aird
  2. The Ransom Game by Howard Engel
  3. Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
  4. Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie
  5. A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny
  6. Ten Second Staircase by Christopher Fowler
  7. Silence of the Rain by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza
  8. Fell Purpose by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles
  9. Kaleidoscope by J. Robert Janes
  10. Death Wore White by Jim Kelly
  11. Daemons Are Forever by Simon R. Green
  12. The Mugger by Ed McBain
  13. The Pusher by Ed McBain
My favorite character in this set of books was Inspector Espinosa of the First Precinct in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, who appears in Silence of the Rain by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza. He is a book lover and a philosopher.

I purchased Silence of the Rain in late 2009, so I have had that book about 3 and a half years. The book I have had longest in this set is Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie. I purchased that book at the Planned Parenthood book sale in September 2005 (the event I wait for each year). I have been collecting copies of Agatha Christie books that long and have just in the last year begun my project of re-reading most of her books.


18 comments:

Bill Selnes said...

I once had a single stack of books on the corner of my desk to be read. I now have 5 or 6 or 7 stacks. I am afraid to count them. There are also isolated other books around the den. Sigh!

TracyK said...

Bill, I know, the stacks of unread books just seem to grow and grow.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Tracy, there is method in your reading and you have read some fine books this last quarter. On the other hand, there is madness in my reading with no fixed agenda — I read anything that fancies me. I thought I'd read Christie chronologically every month but the last book I read was two months ago. Right now I'm reading a book about the Secret Service and a thriller by Brad Thor, an American author I discovered quite by accident. Neither were on my list of books to read. I also have stacks of unread books and ebooks to fuel my guilty pleasure.

TracyK said...

Prashant, sometimes your comments are so poetic. Lately my reading has been too methodical, not free enough. But I intend to remedy that some in the part of 2013, and become even freer in 2014. But there I go, having a method for becoming more free in my reading. I always have been a planner.

Anonymous said...

Tracy - I'm impressed with the variety of books that you've read. And I'm so glad you liked meeting Inspector Espinosa. I think he's a terrific character. And you aren't the only one with a whole load of unread books to get through...

TracyK said...

Margot, are you back home? I know, the problem of the huge TBR pile is epidemic. On the other hand, there are worse problems to have.

w said...

Are the Ed McBain reviews? forthcoming? I enjoyed The Pusher. I won't even discuss the books I own and have never read. I couldn't tell you what the oldest book is that I bought. Probably ten years old! My tbr is out of control especially my ebooks *sigh* It is a mess and I continue to buy them. I think I own almost all the books you mention there on your list. It's a great list, too. I need to seriously focus on the books I own. I am inspired to do something about it. No promises though. Thanks for this post today.

TracyK said...

Keishon, reviews of the two McBain books will be out today or tomorrow in one post. I promised myself I would not acquire too many ebooks when we first got our tablet, but I have done that too, and only read three of them so far. And I have some good ones on the reader.

I know, it is a struggle to read books already purchased, vs. new books that I see reviews of and want to try right away.

Jenna said...

That's great climbing so far! Keep it up :)

Is it awful that I have NEVER read any Agatha Christie? *hangs head in shame*... I should probably remedy that ASAP.

My TBR grows every year with book sales as well - I look forward to the local Penguin Putnam book sale and always stock my TBR shelf.

col2910 said...

Tracy, my TBR has acquired ridiculous proportions now, but I keep getting more and more recommendations, from your posts alone I've bought and Engel, a Penny and the Gracia-Roza. You've a lot to answer for!

TracyK said...

Jenna, I feel the same way about not reading Ed McBain until last year. Agatha Christie is definitely worth trying out. That Penguin Putnam booksale sounds great.

TracyK said...

Col, last year I did better at not buying any new authors.. new to me. This year I have lost all resolve. I hope you like those books.

Sarah said...

A great list. Well done Tracy.

TracyK said...

Sarah, approximately half of the books I read in the last quarter were from the TBR pile, and many were borrowed from my husband or my son, so I guess I am paring down the TBR piles, but I am still buying too many new ones, based on seeing great reviews at your site and other sites. Oh, well.

Bev Hankins said...

You're doing great! Lots of great mystery titles on that journey up the mountain. Good luck with the next leg of the trail. Thanks for checking in!

TracyK said...

Bev, I am happy with my progress. If I continue at this rate, I will read over 50 from the TBR pile this year. We will see.

Clothes In Books said...

It's such an issue isn't it, the TBR pile? I'm working away at mine, and have nothing more than a couple of years old on it - which is a real improvement for me! But then, your list sounds really tempting and varied yet balanced and interesting, which has to have been a plus of having such a big pile...

TracyK said...

Moira, Part of my problem is going to a huge annual book sale that has really good prices (and revisiting it several times). I cannot resist the books and get way too many. Even sticking with just what I want, I still get too many. I have no discipline.